AirDrop, Apple’s ad-hoc networking technology, makes it easy to quickly share photos, files, contacts, and more between iOS and macOS devices. But one lesser known AirDrop feature is the ability to send websites, too. This, for example, lets you share a website link with a coworker, or move a long non-mobile-friendly article from your iPhone to your Mac for easier viewing. And as a one-off type of feature, it’s especially helpful for those who don’t want to use Apple’s more extensive Handoff feature.
When you AirDrop a website, the receiving device will immediately launch your default browser and load the designated URL. This lets you (or whoever you’re sharing the link with) quickly see the website or article without needing to take any intervening action. So here’s how to AirDrop a website on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
AirDrop Website From iPhone or iPad
- Launch Safari on your iPhone or iPad and navigate to the link you’d like to share via AirDrop. If necessary, tap the top of the screen to reveal the Safari icons at the bottom and then tap on the Share icon.
- Give your device a moment to find available AirDrop devices and then tap to send the website to the desired recipient.
- Once accepted, the device you chose will immediately load the shared link in its default browser. This includes browsers like Chrome or Firefox in macOS, so you’re not just limited to Safari.
AirDrop Website From macOS
While in our own personal case we most often send websites from our iOS device to our Mac, the ability to AirDrop websites works in any direction supported by AirDrop. So, for example, if you just found an interesting article on your Mac but need to leave, you can send it to your iPhone for reading on the go. Of course, there are many other ways to sync or share links between desktop and mobile platforms — Handoff, bookmark syncing, Reading List, email, etc. — using AirDrop is relatively quick and requires no additional setup.
- Using a browser that supports Apple’s Share feature, click the Share icon (or choose File > Share) from the menu bar and select AirDrop.
- In the AirDrop window that appears, give it a moment to discover nearby AirDrop devices and then click on the desired recipient.
- The receiving device will launch its default web browser (Safari in the case of iOS) and immediately load the shared link.
Want news and tips from TekRevue delivered directly to your inbox? Sign up for the TekRevue Weekly Digest using the box below. Get tips, reviews, news, and giveaways reserved exclusively for subscribers.