A handy feature of the Apple Watch is the ability to use it for Apple Pay transactions. After all, a quick wave of your wrist at the register is better than needing to dig your iPhone out of a pocket or purse.
But when I bought my most recent Apple Watch, I noticed that the main card I was using for Apple Pay wasn’t coming up first when I was trying to make payments. For those who aren’t familiar with the feature, once Apple Pay is configured on your Watch, you can use that device to pay in stores by double-clicking the side button. The problem was that doing so was bringing up my credit card as the first option instead of my debit card, which required me to swipe to select the correct one. Now, you may not get anxiety when you take extra time checking out, but I sure do. I can practically feel everyone staring at me, friends.
Thankfully, you can change the default Apple Pay card for your Apple Watch. So if you’re in a similar situation, here’s how to change the default Apple Pay card to make sure your preferred card is the first to appear when checking out with your Apple Watch.
Change Default Apple Pay Card on Apple Watch
- Open the Watch app on the iPhone that’s paired to your device.
- Scroll down on the My Watch tab to the Wallet & Apple Pay section and tap to select that.
- Scroll again to find the Default Card area and touch there.
- Afterward, you’ll see a list of the cards you’ve added to Apple Pay, and you can tap the one you’d like to make the default.
- Then when you double-click the side button on your Watch, you’ll get the one you chose right off the bat. No more swiping!
This really was a big deal to me, not just because of the aforementioned staring, but because I really need to not encourage myself to have my credit card as the default. Anything I can do to avoid that is probably time well spent.
Want news and tips from TekRevue delivered directly to your inbox? Sign up for the TekRevue Weekly Digest using the box below. Get tips, reviews, news, and giveaways reserved exclusively for subscribers.